ADSM-L

Re: Win95 and NT bare metal restore

2015-10-04 18:07:23
Subject: Re: Win95 and NT bare metal restore
From: Klaus Dilper
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
On Fri, 30 May 1997 16:26:58 -0400, Michael R Vogt wrote:

>I do not have a locally attached backup device or an OS/2 system =
available,
>so it looks to me like my only choice is to create bootable DOS =
diskettes,
>as explained in the DOS/Windows 3.1 procedure.
>
>Is this correct? And if so, where do I find all those files? Quite a =
few are
>nowhere to be found on my Windows 95 system. Do I need to find an old =
Win 3.1
>system or is there an alternate list of Win 95 files that I can use?

Hallo Michael,

as a member of the Bare Metal Restore Project, I have to add that we had
a lot
of trouble finding a way to recover Win95 and WinNT without installing
the whole
operating system again. You're right, we only found those tree methods
in the
case of Win95. Unfortunately those methods are only for people who have
access
to this 'special' kind of equipment and are not simple to implement. It
seems to be less
time intensive to reinstall from scratch, but this was not the way we
looked for. (We asked
some guys from Mircosoft for some hints or tips, but didn't get any
response! BTW, we also
asked on ADSM-L for suggestions about any kind of operating system, but
the response
was not remarkable.) If one of those methods is practical for you, you
WILL be much faster
back on production as on reinstalling the system, but you have to spend
time in testing the
stuff as we did. Not even one system looks like another.  To keep the
book up to date
(it's was written in Aug./Sept. '96) we're realy interested in any
practical way of doing recovery
from scratch.

Klaus

PS: Don't try to overload a reinstalled base system with an ADSM backup,
it will normaly kill the
whole machine. Try to install  to a temp directory or even better to a
separate partition and fix
the boot strap or use a boot manager.

Klaus Dilper
Klaus Dilper
University of Karlsruhe
Computing Centre
InterNet: Klaus.Dilper AT rz.uni-karlsruhe DOT de
VoiceNet: +49-721-608-4040
FaxNet  : +49-721-32550
SnailNet: Box 6980, D-76128 Karlsruhe, Germany