ADSM-L

Novell/ADSM and IPX/SPX

1997-06-02 05:01:41
Subject: Novell/ADSM and IPX/SPX
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 11:01:41 +0200
Hi everyone,

This weekend I did a DR test using ADSM to backup 5 Novell servers.
The environment:
OS/2 backup server:     ADSM server code Ver2 - IP21020 installed.
Clients:                        2 Novell 3.11 servers - latest ADSM code.
                        2 Novell 3.12 servers - latest ADSM code.
                        1 Novell 4.11 server  -  latest ADSM code.
Network protocol:       IPX/SPX
We managed to back up the 3.12 and 4.11 servers but the 3.11 server kept
on failing with ANS4014E: Lan communications failure detected while in
session with the server.
The Novell server connects to OS/2 asks for the password and once you
enter the restore command the above error is recieved.

The Novell server seems to end the connection but the OS/2 server wants to
still send some data. A query session says that the Novell server is in
SendWait state. We skipped the 3.11 servers from the backup tried to
restore the servers that were backed up. Same error on all of them.
Changed the protocol to TCP/IP and managed to restore the three backed up
servers. Now our Novell guy wants to know why not over IPX?

Is there anything we must change on the Novell server, or is the problem on
the OS/2 ADSM Backup server?

TIA
Regards

Christo Heuer