ADSM-L

Re: WinNT 4.0 install

1997-05-29 15:17:35
Subject: Re: WinNT 4.0 install
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 15:17:35 EDT
On Thu, 29 May 1997 10:39:05 EDT Debbie Cline-Miller said:
>We just installed ADSTAR 2.1.0.6 on 3 NT machines. Two of them
>are 3.51 and although we had a slight problem with the schedule
>service, they appear to be working properly at this time. The
>problem we're currently having is with the WinNT 4.0 workstation.
>When the software is installed  it initially states a problem with
>the sa_dsm.opt and ba_dsm.opt files. After the install the opt files
>are copied from another NT, and after changing the nodename to the
>machine names we start up the scheduler. A window pops up stating
>"Quincy for Win32" stating an application error has occured in
>dsmcsvci.exe. Then it says something about an abnormal termination
>report being written to *.rip file. Yesterday it mentioned a problem
>with a desktop themes software. Admin removed and the scheduler started
>up and even completed the backup. Today it bombed again with the same
>message about the .rip file. At this point the Admin is removing all
>the service packs to see if this helps and will add them back one
>at a time till it bombs again. Does anyone have anyother suggestions?
>
>Has anyone else had problems installing a 4.0 NT?
>
>Thank you for listening I feel a calmer already.
>
>/*   Debbie Cline-Miller    */
>/*  BHNSM - C148  473-1809  */
>/* dec12 AT health.state.ny DOT us */

Several things.

We are using the windows 32 client at ptf 5 and ptf 6  levels with some
problems, but overall it works.

If you want to check out the options file you can
do a query options from the dsmc client and make sure
that you are reading the correct options file.

Do the gui (dsm.exe) and line-mode(dsmc.exe) programs also fail?

You might want to look at apar IC16240. It says that if you have an
audio cd-rom mounted (does not have to be in use) or serveral other
file system problems, and you are using nt 4. and adsm ptf .6, you
can get divide by zero errors. This one caught us several times.
To fix this you have to use ptf 5 or remove the audio cd-rom when adsm
starts up.

I assume that quincy is just a product that traps the abend (mainframe)
term and writes the dump out.

len

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513