ADSM-L

Odd error message on Exabyte 8505

1997-05-29 11:21:52
Subject: Odd error message on Exabyte 8505
From: David Boyes <dboyes AT DIMENSION DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 11:21:52 -0400
I'm trying to use an Exabyte 8505XL drive connected to an NT box. I'm seeing
the following error whenever I insert a tape.  The drive seems to
work -- sometimes.  If the backup or archive requires a new tape,
the drive works fine, but restores seem to be unable to position
the tape correctly and ADSM seems to be unable to add information
to the end of a previously used volume.

The tape drive seems to be OK when connected to a local Sun box
(diagnostics check out, tape operation seems correct and
read/write performance seems to be acceptable).

The error message is:

ANR8302E I/O error on drive TAPE01 (MT4.0.0.0) (OP=TESTREADY, CC=-1, KEY=FF,
ASC=FF, ASCQ=FF, Description=An undetermined error has occurred).  Refer to
Appendix B in the 'Messages' manual for recommended action.
ANR8328I 056: GENERICTAPE volume DSM007 mounted in drive TAPE01 (MT4.0.0.0).

Naturally, the error message explanation says 'contact your
system administrator'. Any ideas?

The drive is defined as a GENERICTAPE device -- should it be a
8MM device? I tried that and neither the ADSM device driver or
the ADSM server would recognize the drive. It seems to work as a
GENERICTAPE device.