ADSM-L

Stgpool: reuse delay

1997-05-28 19:41:42
Subject: Stgpool: reuse delay
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 16:41:42 PDT
If I understand correctly, you have set Reusedelay=7 for your storage pool,
but volumes are not being returned to scratch after the 7-day time period
has elapsed.  You do not state how you conclude that the volumes contain no
files or how you know when the last file was deleted.  With large volumes,
utilization can be rounded to 0.0% even though the volume contains a
small amount of data, so if you are looking at % utilization you might
mistakenly think that a volume is empty.

If the volumes in question are really in the pending state, you can use
the Query Volume F=D command to determine the date on which each volume
became pending.  Then get the reusedelay period using Query Stgpool F=D.
Add the reusedelay period to the date on which each volume became pending
and you should have the approximate time at which volumes will be changed
to empty state and therefore become eligible to be returned to scratch.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development
------------------------------- Referenced Note ---------------------------
Bonjour,
Bonjour,

In order to assure consistency between DB and volumes, we defined our
sequential primary storage pool with "Reusedelay=3D7". (We do a DB =
backup
every day, 1 full for 6 incremental).

We noticed several volumes with no files on them (deleted after expire
inventory), having not been written or read for more than 7 days. These
volumes should return to the scratch pool, but it's not the case
(dommage...)..

Why? Do we have to manually delete them or run a batch or wait longer?

Thanks for advices

Ren=E9 Lambelet, Nestle SA, Vevey