ADSM-L

Re: DATASET NOT ALLOCATED

1997-05-27 13:14:00
Subject: Re: DATASET NOT ALLOCATED
From: "Siska, Bob" <BSISKA AT NCS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 10:14:00 PDT
After you get those MVS messages for about 5 minutes, it is followed by
 ANR5373I  UNABLE TO ALLOCATE TAPE DRIVE WITH DEVICE TYPE device type FOR
TAPE
 ..,R

 IEE305I ..,R     COMMAND INVALID

 volume ID. REPLY 'C' TO CANCEL OR 'R' TO RETRY.

Usually "r" is your best response. We have it automated. ADSM keeps retrying
until it finally gets a drive.
Incidentally, the "Vnnnn" is a suffix ADSM adds internally to identify the
tape dsn; the suffix only appears on some of the MVS messages, I've never
bothered to figure out which ones and why.

Bob Siska
National Computer Systems
Iowa City IA
Bob_Siska AT ncs DOT com
"Let's pretend you're Sherman and I'm Mister Peabody..."