ADSM-L

ADSM Archive Function

1997-05-23 10:56:39
Subject: ADSM Archive Function
From: Francisco Franco <francisco.franco AT HYDRO.ON DOT CA>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 10:56:39 -0400
Hi Folks,

We perform monthly archives in order to be able to recover to a
particular
user data confiuration.  The monthly archive for the previous month
starts
on the first day of the following month and runs for about 5 days.

In order to keep track of what works and doesn't work, I submit the job
through a shell script that is kicked off through cron and mails me the
output of the job at the end of each filesystem.  This way, I know which
filesystem/domain has been done and which ones are left to go.  One
thing
that I have noticed are the following:

1.  For most of the filesystems, things are normal and nothing exciting
    happens and at the end of the mail message, I get the following
output:

+++
Archiving-->             8,601
/home/thy/fue/stephenw/yao/bb035_T_NMWR_NPTB/fort.89  Sent
Archive processing of '/home/thy/fue' finished with 0 failures.

Total number of objects inspected:   24,765
Total number of objects archived:    23,403
Total number of objects updated:          0
Total number of objects rebound:          0
Total number of objects deleted:          0
Total number of objects failed:           0
Total number of bytes transferred:    892.4 MB
Data transfer time:                1,307.98 sec
Data transfer rate:                  698.69 KB/sec
Average file size:                     86.1 KB
Compression percent reduction:           59%
Elapsed processing time:           02:03:28
+++

2.  For other filesystems, I get pretty much the same thing except that
    I don't get the "finished with 0 failures" message.  I get the
following:

+++
utron/sds1/th/100%rihiz_w.13node.-0.5mk-long/flow/iz_5f94.out.gz  Sent

Total number of objects inspected:   18,915
Total number of objects archived:    17,344
Total number of objects updated:          0
Total number of objects rebound:          0
Total number of objects deleted:          0
Total number of objects failed:           0
Total number of bytes transferred:    405.5 MB
Data transfer time:                  368.99 sec
Data transfer rate:                1,125.33 KB/sec
Average file size:                     53.0 KB
Compression percent reduction:           61%
Elapsed processing time:           00:34:41
+++

    Looking through the output, the only odd thing that I can see is the
following:

Archiving-->           417,030
/home/thy/fue3/paulp/bb_94%/better-estimate/sstat
e_1.2/6.57MW/fort.3.gz  Compressed Data Grew

    As a test, I used the gui to search for the file that "Compressed
Data Grew",
    then retrieved it to another place and did a UNIX diff etween the
original file
    and the backed up file, it came back as being the same.

    The "dsmerror.log" doesn't show me anything at around this time.
So, is there
    anything wrong?  Did any failures take place?  What is the archive
status of
    my file system?  Do I have to fix anything?

3.  Other file systems give me the same output as item 2, but in the
dsmerror.log,
    I get the following messages:

+++
05/22/97   16:26:17  OpenDB:PrepareAccess-2 Cannot open database lock
file /home
/misc2/.SpaceMan/premigrdb.dir: No such file or directory
05/22/97   16:26:17  Cannot get migration status of
/home/misc2/epanyan/bb_94%/L
ORC/new_trans/0.007mks_PM/100s/IZ_EW/power
05/22/97   16:26:17  ANS4266E Encountered bad mount or filesystem,
processing st
opped.
+++

    The outout of the e-mail message was as follows:

+++
Archiving-->             4,550
/home/misc2/epanyan/bb_94%/LORC/new_trans/0.007mk
s_PM/100s/IZ_EW/bb-LORC-0.007mks-IZ_EW-001.in.gz  Sent

Total number of objects inspected:    3,837
Total number of objects archived:     3,508
Total number of objects updated:          0
Total number of objects rebound:          0
Total number of objects deleted:          0
Total number of objects failed:           0
Total number of bytes transferred:     99.3 MB
Data transfer time:                  151.89 sec
Data transfer rate:                  670.06 KB/sec
Average file size:                     70.8 KB
Compression percent reduction:           65%
Elapsed processing time:           00:17:16
+++

    The only odd thing is that the messages talk about ".SpaceMan" which
is part
    of HSM, but I'm not running HSM on this particular filesystem,
although, other
    filesystems within this client are managed by HSM.

I am using 2.1.0.12/0.12 of the server and 2.1.0.6 of the client.

Has anybody run into any of this?  Is there a solution?

TIA

Francisco
x9477
--
Francisco Franco                e-mail: francisco.franco AT hydro.on DOT ca
Francisco Franco                e-mail: francisco.franco AT hydro.on DOT ca