ADSM-L

Re: Monitoring ADSM for errors.

1997-05-23 05:17:20
Subject: Re: Monitoring ADSM for errors.
From: Carsten Moldrup <I6319 AT CSC-CM DOT DK>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 10:17:20 +0100
Carsten Mxldrup
23-05-97 10.17

Hi Paul,

I would also like a copy of your rexx.

Regards Carsten Moldrup
---------------------- Forwarded by Carsten Mxldrup/93/CSCCM on 23-05-97
10.14 ---------------------------

vkm @ CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
21-05-97 04.13

To:   ADSM-L @ VM.MARIST.EDU
cc:    (bcc: Carsten Mxldrup)

Wayne,
I have a rexx exec that processes the last day's worth of activity log,
stripping
out all 'nominal' messages, summarizes others that repeat but are
interesting, logs the result for future reference, and mails to a list of
adsm administrators.
The goal is to keep the extracted log down to a screenful or two and review
it in
the morning.  The exec has gotten rather sophisticated; it now recognizes
not only
repeating messages but repeating sequences of messages, and summarizes
them.

I believe I made available a copy of this exec on index.storsys.ibm.com
some time
ago, and it should still be there.  It should be called daily.actlog.  It
was written for Uni-rexx, to run on an AIX client.  It simply calls
dsmadmc, so
does
not have to run on the server machine.

If others are interested, I can make a more recent version of this
available.
..Paul
--
At 11:55 PM 5/19/97 -0400, Wayne Gorton wrote:
At 11:55 PM 5/19/97 -0400, Wayne Gorton wrote:
>Howdy All,
>I am currently revisiting the way we monitor ADSM's activity.
>Our environment is 20 nodes backing up to 1 server (all on an SP)
overnight. >We use NetView to monitor the file dsmerror.log. This issues
all sorts of >messages that don't need to be passed onto NetView.
>The manual "ADSM for AIX: Advanced Topics" recommends monitoring the
console >log instead of the dsmerror.log (but doesn't say why).
>The console log is piped out to /dev/null. Is this the norm?
>Is there a mechanism for pruning the console log or dsmerror.log?
>It also says to monitor for specific messages & ignore the rest.
>I think it would be better to take a sample of the most common messages &
>filter out the messages you don't need to see. This way should ADSM issue
any >new messages (in future versions) we won't be ignoring them.

>What's the consensus, monitor the console log or dsmerror.log?
>What does everyone else do?
>
>I'd welcome any opinions/advise before I start scripting.
>
>Role:                               Unix System Administrator
>Style:                              The Thinking Man's Clown
>Name:                               wayneg AT au1.ibm DOT com
>Life:       "Imagination is more important than knowledge"   Albert
Einstein