ADSM-L

Re: Capacity of 3490e tapes: a question

1997-05-20 08:15:52
Subject: Re: Capacity of 3490e tapes: a question
From: Francis Maes <fr.maes AT CGER DOT BE>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 13:15:52 +0100
Hello Dave,

We have an STK robot on MVS with 3490E cartridges (800MB/cart without
compression).
We set the compression ON on the client nodes (NT servers).
We have an average of 850MB/cart and we have set the estimated capacity
to this value in the cartridge DEVCLASS.
This means, with a compression factor of 2/1 to 2.5/1, that we put from
1.7GB to 2.1GB of client data on each cartridge.

Hope this help you,
        Francis

Larimer, Dave wrote:

> To all shops that explicitly define their 3490e tapes,
>
>         I am seeing a large differentiation in the capacity of my 3490e
> cartridges.  The lowest amount of data I have on my 3490e's is around
> 720 meg..  The highest is around 2.6 gig.  Could someone tell me why
> there is such a difference?
>
> Dave Larimer
> Dave_Larimer AT kne DOT com

Francis Maes                    ASLK-CGER Services GIE  - Belguim
ADSM Server Administrator       Rue Fossi-aux-Loups, 48 - 1000 Brussels
Storage Management              E@Mail: fr.maes AT cger DOT be