ADSM-L

Re: reducing DBase and Recovery log volume size

1997-05-20 07:55:16
Subject: Re: reducing DBase and Recovery log volume size
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,HiServ/NA" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 07:55:16 -0400
David,
        To reduce the size of the Database and move it...

1) Use the REDUCE DB command to reduce the database to the size you want
(you can look at the output of Q DB to see what the maximum reduction
is) - this will not reduce the space physically used by the ADSM
database but, if you look at the output of Q DB, it  will reduce the
Assigned Capacity.

2) Allocate and format (DSMFMT utility) the new database volume.

3) Define the new database volume(s) to ADSM using the DEFINE DBVOLUME
command.

4) Issue the DELETE DBVOLUME command to delete the old database volume -
this will only work if the newly defined dbvolume(s) are equal to or
greater than the size of the database volume you're deleting minus how
much you reduced the database in step 1.  So, if your old dbvolume is
2,000 MB and you reduced it by 500 MB, the new dbvolume must be at least
1,500 MB for this to work.  The DELETE DBVOLUME command will cause ADSM
to move the db pages on the DBVOL being deleted to the new DBVOL.

5) Delete the old DBVOL using the appropriate utility for whatever
system you're running on.

        Reducing the Recovery Log Size works similarly...

1) Issue the REDUCE LOG command to reduce the size of the recovery log
2) Allocate and format the new recovery log volume.
3) Define the new recovery log volume using the DEFINE LOGVOLUME
command.
4) Issue the DELETE LOGVOLUME command to delete the old recovery log
volume.
5) Delete the old logvolume..

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com