ADSM-L

Re: Capacity of 3490e tapes: a question

1997-05-19 18:50:54
Subject: Re: Capacity of 3490e tapes: a question
From: David Ong <david AT BABYONG.NSC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:50:54 -0700
Dave,
Unless I'm totally off-base, you must be using the 3490c format on those
3490e drives. For those drives, 720mb is only an estimated capacity. As a
tape gets filled, that number will reflect the total number of bytes
written out in compressed format which will almost certainly be greater
than 720mb. I have seen numbers as high as 2.4gb on our tapes.

At 01:29 PM 5/19/97 -0600, you wrote:
>To all shops that explicitly define their 3490e tapes,
>
>        I am seeing a large differentiation in the capacity of my 3490e
>cartridges.  The lowest amount of data I have on my 3490e's is around
>720 meg..  The highest is around 2.6 gig.  Could someone tell me why
>there is such a difference?
>
>Dave Larimer
>Dave_Larimer AT kne DOT com

Have a nice day or whatever's left of it.

David Ong
National Semiconductor Corp.