ADSM-L

Using ADSM to restore Win/NT 4.0 operating system

1997-05-19 11:10:53
Subject: Using ADSM to restore Win/NT 4.0 operating system
From: "James C. Harrer, SE/CRM, /Long Grove, G-5 JHARRER - CPOLNM01" <us2b7kdb AT IBMMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 11:10:53 EDT

RE:  Using ADSM to restore a Win/NT 4.0 Server operating system

I heard many of you are successfully restoring Win/NT 4.0 OS using a separate
bootable partition and then restoring to the real production boot partition.
That sounds pretty good but leaves me with a question and a wish.

1.  What files, if any are excluded from backup?  I'm not sure the recommended
include/exclude list that comes with ADSM is appropriate.

2.  I do not like having to install a second bootable partition on all my
Win/NT systems.  It wastes space and complicates startup procedures for my
customers.  Is there any hope of getting a procedure to boot a down machine
from diskettes, do a virtual drive attachment from a different Win/NT systems
and restoring the down operating system partition from there?