ADSM-L

FW: IBM 3590 tapes...

1997-05-16 14:09:25
Subject: FW: IBM 3590 tapes...
From: "BELL, CRAIG" <rcbell AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 11:09:25 PDT
If you do get I/O errors on the drives, pay attention to the codes that are
provided in the I/O error message.  If they don't make sense to you, give them
to ADSM service or a CE.  I have seen many customer situations where the
problem is quite specific, and the answer is in the sensce data/errno coming
from the drive.  It would be best to nail them down at the start and not let
them lead to bigger problems.

If you don't get sense codes, then that's an occasion for calling in ADSM
service, too.  There's a few situations where they can get masked, but
they could be diagnosed from the context or hardware dumps.

Also, be sure to look at errprt -a (on AIX) for additional
errors with the drive and show them to service as well.

Craig Bell