ADSM-L

VOLH TYPE=STGD Question

1997-05-13 08:59:10
Subject: VOLH TYPE=STGD Question
From: Jim Kleberg <jrkleberg AT STATESTREET DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 08:59:10 -0400
        We are running ADSM V2 on MVS (level 12) using CA-TLMS for our tape
     management.  Since we want to let TLMS manage our tapes, and we want
     colocation by node, we set our max scratch volumes to 10,000.  Was
     this a mistake?
        Since ADSM is registered to TLMS as an External Data Manager, all
     our tapes are created as permanent (no expiration).  We have a reuse
     delay of 3 days.  We also issue a DEL VOLH TOD=TODAY-3 TYPE=DBB every
     day.
        While the DBB entries are being cleared in the sequential volume
     history, STGD records are added every day.  It looks as though ADSM is
     trying to be my tape library manager and keeps a permanent record of
     ALL tapes, even if it no longer owns them.
        Can I safely issue a DEL VOLH TOD=TODAY-3 TYPE=STGD command every
     day?  Also, since ADSM has already signalled TLMS to scratch these
     tapes at some prior time, will it delete the records without
     signalling TLMS to scratch (as it does for DBB records)?
        We are experiencing DATABASE LOCK CONFLICTs on the sequential
     history file and I can't help but think that the extra entries are not
     helping the situation.  We have about 20,000 records in the sequential
     history file, with only about 1500 of them reflecting an active tape.
        Any help would be appreciated!