ADSM-L

ADSM Recovery Log filling up

1997-05-08 21:40:26
Subject: ADSM Recovery Log filling up
From: Dianne Sharp <DSHARP AT CLEAR.CO DOT NZ>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 13:40:26 +1200
We're running ADSM Server V1 for MVS.

Last night, our ADSM Recovery Log filled up, causing several backups to
be missed.
When I did a Q SESS command, there was only one active session showing
for a Netware client which had been in a Wait state for over 12 hours.
Investigating the logs on that client, I figured out that a session
started at 18:30.  Then at 19:39 there was a TCP/IP connection failure.
A retry occured and another session was established at 19:59 and the
backup completed OK.  However, the first session was never stopped.

I cancelled the "hung" session and the recovery log was still over 96%
full, so I ended up restarting the ADSM Server and the recovery log
utilisation went down to under 1%.

My theory is that the "hung" session somehow caused the recovery log to
fill.  Has anyone else experienced the same problem?  If so, what's the
solution?

Dianne Sharp
Operations Analyst
ISS CUSTOMER SUPPORT