ADSM-L

Backing up RAW partions

1997-05-06 16:52:27
Subject: Backing up RAW partions
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 13:52:27 PDT
>We need to back up an Informix database that is in a raw partition.  I have
>found some information pointing to something called ADSMPIPE but it states
>the code is on a disk in the back of the book.  Although I am going to
>order the book, can anyone tell me 1) where I can get this code on the WWW
>in the mean time, 2) just how it works.
>
>Thanks
>Drew DeGraff
>Sys/DBA Admin

Drew, I am weeks behind in my e-mail, so I don't know if you still need
help.  ADSMPIPE should only be used if you have no other alternative because
ADSMPIPE is an unsupported utility....it's not an official part of the ADSM
product.

If you are running Informix 7.21 or later, then you should use onbar with
the x/open ADSM api (if you are running AIX, Solaris, or HP).  This works
with raw devices or file systems.

If you are on an Informix release that has ontape or tbtape, then DataTools
SQL-BackTrack can be of help.  They have a new release just coming out on
aix, hp, and sun, that interfaces to these older informix utilities.  So you
can do your backups through the ADSM api from these older utilities.  You
can contact DataTools at sales AT datatools DOT com.

If none of the above describes your environment, then ADSMPIPE might be
appropriate.  ADSMPIPE is on the ITSO (redbook) ftp server.  Instructions
for getting it are in the redbook section L.5:

FTP to: ftp.almaden.ibm.com
From the /redbooks directory:
  cd SG244335
  binary