ADSM-L

Reset 3590 tape drive block size for ADSM

1997-05-03 10:46:07
Subject: Reset 3590 tape drive block size for ADSM
From: "BELL, CRAIG" <rcbell AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 07:46:07 PDT
ADSM sets the block size of all its tape/optical devices internally.
Setting it in smit has no effect, except for tar, dd, and any other
applications that do no set it themselves.

ADSM uses variable blocking on all tapes, ie. blocksize is 0.  Generally
however, for 3590 it will attempt to write out a full 256K block, which
is the largest allowed blocksize with variable blocking.  Some blocks,
eg. the last block in a series, will be shorter.

Craig Bell