ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Novell IPX

1997-04-23 13:02:25
Subject: Re: ADSM and Novell IPX
From: "Patrick E. Gilman" <pgilman AT INAME DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 13:02:25 -0400
Robert,

How old are the versions of Netware?  I have tested IPX backups at my site
and they work ok (not OK).  The performance was terribly slow!  Plus, if
you want to due "Prompted" backup schedules then you will need to use
TCP/IP.  I have about trippled the performance on my Netware servers by
using TCP/IP, ~300Kb/sec --> ~1,000Kb/sec.The administrator that configured
IPX on the server here is no longer here and I am not sure how or what
needed to be done to configure this piece.

I also use Ron's suggestion of backing up other Netware servers from one
with the ADSM client on it.  Just make sure the TSA agent for the version
of Netware is loaded on the remote server and update the DSM.OPT file to
include these server's volumes & binderies.  This would be, I think, the
best solution if you don't want to load TCP/IP on the older Netware
servers.

Good Luck,

Patrick Gilman
Senior Systems Engineer - Enterprise