ADSM-L

Re: DSMFMT & DB vol limits

1997-03-27 11:32:46
Subject: Re: DSMFMT & DB vol limits
From: "Dwight E. Cook" <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 10:32:46 -0600
     Just put the ulimit in the /etc/security/limits file and associate it
     with "root".

     I just love how system defaults help us out!

     later
         Dwight

Author:  ADSM-L (ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU) at unix,mime
Date:    3/27/97 9:26 AM

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Detlev Hilberg wrote:

> Just set new ulimits before working with ADSM/formatting database files,
> e.g.
>
> prompt> ulimit -f 4194304
>
> for a filesize up to 2 GB.

(1) i'm in aix v3.2.5.  i cannot run this command as stated, but i CAN run

ulimit -f 4194303

the problem is that every time i log off and back on, the limit comes
back down to 2097150, i.e., 1 GB.  this effectively prohibits me from
using ove 1GB DB volumes.  what can i do about this?

(2) i currently have, therefore, 2 1GB "volumes" for my DB on the same
disk.  DB performance is awful!  the filemon command tells me that i'm in
a 99%-seek situation.  it seems as if ADSM keeps jumping back and forth
from one volume to the other, and since one is physically located at the
outside half of the disk and the other at the inside half, the result is a
disaster.  taken with point (1), it seems as if i have to put the DB on 2
physical volumes.  this is stupid, since my real physical volumes are 4.5
GB disks.  i know, disks aren't expensive any more, but by the time i get
another rack, scsi cables and cards, and wait for the $*&#@ disks to arrive,
my DB will have overflowed.

i hope i've been clear.  it's not easy, considering that "volume" can
mean (a) the file formatted by dsmfmt, (b) the AIX logical volume and (c)
the physical disk volume.  it's as confusing as the ADSM's doc using the
words "user", "client" and "workstation" to refer to the same thing.

again, can anyone help?  thanks in advance.  john
John O'Neall                     e-mail:  jon AT in2p3 DOT fr
John O'Neall                     e-mail:  jon AT in2p3 DOT fr
Centre de Calcul de l'IN2P3      phone:   +33 (0)4 78 93 08 80
Villeurbanne, France             fax:     +33 (0)4 78 94 30 54