ADSM-L

Re: ANR8774W

1997-03-25 17:01:40
Subject: Re: ANR8774W
From: "Dwight E. Cook" <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 16:01:40 -0600
     OK, here is what I've seen, and depending on your library it will
     probably differ some what...

     For one reason or another a tape is pulled from the library.  Such as
     to please upper management and show off the 3494 and someone opens it
     up, takes out a tape, plops it in the convience I/O to watch the
     robotics put it away... What happens is when they close the door and
     the atl rescans the inventory it updates that tape as gone and it all
     flows down hill from there (ending up in my lap YECH!) but when it is
     put back in the atl only the atl automatically picks up on it SOOOOOO
     I  (oh and I caught the cat 300 so it is probably a 3494 also)  do a:
     mtlib -l /dev/lmcpblah -qV -Vmylostvolser
     and when it gives me back that "Yeah, it is here!" I do a checkin
     libvol blah mylostvolser status=private checklabel=no..... and adsm
     queries the atl and it says "fine on this end boss" and we are all
     happy again.........

     Now your not listed volume probably has had all its data expire off of
     it and since it wasn't in the library (kind'a) it just removed
     references from your tapepool BUT it is probably hooked into your
     libvol somehow somewhere from the initial checkin... try a "q libvol"

     anyway this has had me running in the past.

     NOTE: if for some reason you have a drive die with a tape in it,  look
     in the inventory for its home location and ask the service person to
     put it in THAT SLOT cause if it is taken out & tossed into the conv.
     I/O you will end up in the same shape... I also believe it causes
     minor confusion if put in a different slot also

     hope this helps...
     later
         Dwight