ADSM-L

I/O errors on DLT4700 tape drive

1997-03-25 16:01:41
Subject: I/O errors on DLT4700 tape drive
From: Cyndi Wood x7440 <SNOCKW AT VMS.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 16:01:41 -0500
        Hello all,

        I'm desperatly looking for an answer to a tape drive problem
        I'm having. I'm running the ADSM V2.1 server on a Windows NT
        machine and using a DLT4700 tape library.

        What keeps happening intermittenly is I'm getting an I/O error
        when a backup kicks off and tries to use a tape. In the actlog
        it looks like this:

        ANR8300E I/O error on library AUTOLIB (OP=8401C058,
        CC=207, KEY=ff, ASC=FF, ASCQ=FF, Description=Device is
        not in a state capable of performing request). Refer to
        Appendix B in the 'Messages' manual for recommended action.

        ANR1401W Mount request denied for volume DSM007 - mount
        failed.

        It repeats these errors some more with CC=315 in all the
        others.

        I thought I'd found the problem when I was able to recreate
        it by unloading a tape manually before ADSM had done it but
        it happened again last night when no one was around to do that.

        When this error has occured it has sometimes marked the
        tape for read only access because it thinks something is
        wrong with it. I've swapped out tape drives and this doesn't
        solve it either.

        Anyone else seen this problem?

                        Thanks!

                        Cyndi Wood

 Cyndi Wood                      SAS Institute Inc.
 snockw AT vms.sas DOT com              SAS Campus Drive
 VAX Systems Support             E217
 (919)677-8000 x7440             Cary, NC 27513