ADSM-L

Disaster test

1997-03-25 12:05:47
Subject: Disaster test
From: Julie Phinney <julphinn AT EMPHESYS.E-MAIL DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 12:05:47 EST
I need to do a restore test of our biggest ADSM client, from offsite
tapes (I've been asked to do a test, someone heard a horror story about
how long it took.)
I ran a Q CON batch job on the Offsite tapepool that ran about 7 hours
and wrote out 1000+ cylinders of mainframe DASD.  The client I'd need
to restore has files spread across 158 tapes.  (As opposed to 41 tapes
in the collocated onsite pool.)
So it seems to me, I'll need to:
1) Request those 158 tapes be brought back from the vault.
2) Mark every onsite tape belonging to this node DESTROYED.
3) Mark the 158 tapes ACC=READW
4) Restore the client.
My questions:
1) If I do this, can I take them back when I'm done and return the
   destroyed onsite tapes to not destroyed status?
   (If I have to leave them onsite, then I no longer have offsite
    copies of all the data on those tapes belonging to OTHER nodes.)
2) Do I really need all 158?  Is it possible that some have only
   inactive versions of files on them, and ADSM wouldn't call for them?
3) Is there an easier way to find out which tapes ADSM will call for?
4) There must be a better way to test a recovery of a client from
   offsite tapes.  Does anyone know of a way?
Thanks for any help!!!!!
Julie Phinney
JULPHINN @ EMPHESYS.E-MAIL.COM