ADSM-L

HPUX restore going very slowly

1997-03-24 23:06:54
Subject: HPUX restore going very slowly
From: Mike Hollyman <mikeh AT UIUC DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 22:06:54 -0600
Hi All, I have a 10.10 HP-UX machine that is trying to restore a 2 gig
home directory disk.  Both the client and server are V2 of adsm.

I start the restore with:

dsmc restore -subdir=yes /home/directory

Even though the server was relatively idle, after 6 hours, it had only
examined 18,000 of the 100,000+ files on the system.  The last time I did
this, it only took it around 1 hour to examine all the files (there were
about 110,000 of them).

Since the client machine hasn't changed at all since the last restore, I
have to assume that something is wrong with the server.  Anyone have any
ideas for where to look?  The server admin doesn't see anything out of the
ordinary running on the server.

At least it's Spring Break, so students are gone, but at this rate, I don't
think it will finish before they get back!

Thanks,

Mike Hollyman                              www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/mikeh
Computing & Communications Services Office
College of Engineering Workstation Labs Manager
(217) 244-8724            --finger mikeh AT uiuc DOT edu for PGP Public Key