ADSM-L

Re: Winnt 4.0

1997-03-24 06:28:00
Subject: Re: Winnt 4.0
From: postman <postman AT EPDS.UK.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:28:00 +0000
Bengt Sjodin wrote:

> Hello List
> I just found out about this list, and now i hope some one can help me !!
> we have a few servers vith adsm 2.5 and 2.6 running on winnt 4.0 sp1
> we use Compaq proliant 2500/5000 and IBM pc server 320  128 Mb ram.
> During and 30 min after backup the processor is really busy!!
> some of the servers is working fine, and some is busy
> the configuration on the servers are the same
> In the task manager all backup processes are closed but it seems
> like something still holds the processor
> ex, taskmanager use 4 times as much cpu then normal..
> after 30 min though, its back to normal
>
> Can some one give me a hint on what to do !!??
>
> Thank you !!
>
> //Benke
can I suggest you look at the the bugfix list with service pack2 (You
might want to check through compaq support before applying this).

Also, go back to the task manager and look at the both the application
area and the processes area. In the application  area check for
applications not responding and in the processes area look for processes
hogging cpu usage.

high cpu usage could indicate an application is not configured correctly
or possibly network config/problems exist(check with netstat -a -p tcp
and netstat -a -p udp in a dos command prompt if you are using TCP/IP).

Use the performance meter to further analyse the problem by building a
chart /report  to trap events before during and after the 30 minute
period.

Another thing to consider is what the total memory usage pattern is
before and during the backup;

ie quiescent memory total then backup processes initiated disk i/o etc

--
       \\|//
       \\|//