ADSM-L

Re: How do I get ADSM to use both grippers in a 3494?

1997-03-20 08:13:36
Subject: Re: How do I get ADSM to use both grippers in a 3494?
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 15:13:36 +0200
Hi Mike and Tom,

I was part of that thread about 8-9 months ago, but as I changed occupation
about 6 months ago may saved mail messages were left behind.

What I can remember from the 3494 with two 3590 drives and dual gripper is that
the dual gripper feature is a microcode implementation and ADSM can not make
use of this function currently. At that stage the gripper 1 had done thousands
of mounts and the 2nd gripper only 118 in total. I can get the new stats as I'm
still in contact with the guys that I worked with. The 3494 will decide when it
is neccesary to use the second gripper. The 118 mounts for the second gripper I
can not see coming from
the CE testing the gripper because I was mostly with the CE while he performed
the testing.
It does seem that the 2nd gripper is somehow used but not very effectively if
looking at the stats.

Maybe IBM can give us some indication under exactly what conditions this
feature is
applied.

As one guy at that time said - maybe we can get our money back from IBM for
this not very usefull feature.

Regards

Christo Heuer
Johannesburg