ADSM-L

Re: point-in-time-restore of a filesystem

1997-03-20 02:08:54
Subject: Re: point-in-time-restore of a filesystem
From: Michael Fink <Michael.Fink AT UIBK.AC DOT AT>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:08:54 +0100
On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Jerry Lawson wrote:

> ---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes ---------------------
> What about using -Latest in conjunction with -todate?

This "resurrects" files that were deliberately deleted by users.

Assume e.g. that a HOME file system of a large central UNIX system
breaks (causing the mount point to appear as an empty directory at
least in some versions of UNIX), and an incremental backup is
scheduled before the problem is discovered. In this case, thousands
of users will have to manually sort out old versions of files.
This is inacceptible to any installation with more than a handful
of users. Currently, I know of no workaround to this serious problem.

What we really need is an option to QUERY BACKUP and RESTORE that
permits selecting all files that were active at a given point of time.
The -TODATE option does not do this (which I originally misunderstood).
Since ADSM already keeps track of the date when a file was inactivated
(for expiry purposes), this should be easy to implement.

Sincerely,   Michael Fink

> Jerry Lawson
> jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

        EDV-Zentrum | Universitaet Innsbruck      | Tel: +43(512)507-2311
 Computing Services | Technikerstrasse 13         | FAX: +43(512)507-2944
--------------------+ A - 6020 Innsbruck, Austria | Michael.Fink AT uibk.ac DOT
at