ADSM-L

One drive tape system with adsm?

1997-03-17 11:05:23
Subject: One drive tape system with adsm?
From: Ron Heflin <RON.X.HEFLIN AT X400GW.AMERITECH DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 11:05:23 -0500
  William:

   With a single tape drive stacker, automatic tape reclamation will not
   work.  In order to reclaim tapes, you must use 'MOVE DATA' from each
   tape you want to reclaim to a different storage pool and then move
   it back if you want the data to remain in the original storage pool.

   Having only one tape drive involves a lot of labor watching and
   moving data around because once your storages pools fill ADSM quits
   backing up data.  With multiple tape drives in a storage pool,
   ADSM automatically reclaims tape storage based on threshold info
   you provide.  With automatic reclamation, you don't worry about
   tape storage as much, you don't even think about it much (unless
   you are filling up).

   With a single tape drive offsite backups are difficult at best,
   because again, you need to move tape data to an intermediate area
   before you can move it to an offsite tape.

   If you have 2 libraries each with one tape drive you could use the
   tape drives and libraries together to accomplish these tasks
   providing you have enough empty tapes in each library.  In this
   situation you would be moving data from one library to the other
   library.

   The bottom line is that you should definitely have multiple tape
   drives in each library.

   Ron Heflin
   IBM Global Services