ADSM-L

Re: Questions on Tape Reclamation -Reply

1997-03-14 14:51:46
Subject: Re: Questions on Tape Reclamation -Reply
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,HiServ/US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:51:46 -0500
Chris,
        This depends on how much trouble you want to go to...   the easy way is
to pipe the output from a Q VOL F=D to a file and calculate MB of data
on each tape based upon percent utilized multiplied by estimated
capacity, then sort the list..  However, this doesn't account for tapes
where files span volumes so you'll end up calling for tapes that weren't
pulled.   To account for that takes some additional steps....

1) Generate the report based upon the number of MB  on each tape
(percent utilized * estimated capacity).

2) Take all the tapes under a certain threshold (I used 40 MB as the
cutoff point), and generate ADSM macros to do a Q CONT <volser> COUNT=1
F=D and a Q CONT COUNT=-1 F=D, piping the output to 2 separate files.

3) Merge the 2 files by VOLSER, then check for VOLSERs with a first and
last file segment number equal to '1/1'   (otherwise either the first or
last file spans tapes).

4)  If both the first and last file segment numbers were equal to '1/1',
 the tape would be eligible for processing so write it to a report file
and also generate the MOVE DATA commands.

I used to go to the trouble of doing Q CONT on the first and last file
of every ADSM tape, then determining how the volumes were chained
together but, with the number of tapes we had, this would run for well
over 4 hours so I gave up on this quickly.

This does sound a bit kludgy (actually it was - took about 16 or 17
steps if I remember correctly and ran about 20-30 minutes) but it ran
fine in production for over 2 years prior to migrating ADSM off of MVS
and it kept our operators happy enought not to carry thru on their
various threats of bodily harm because of "all of those <fill in the
your own expletive here> ADSM tape mounts".  This was all done using
some basic utilities (SAS, DFSort, IEBGENER, etc.) so, if you have SAS
available on your system I'd be more than happy to forward the JCL and
SAS code to you.

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com