ADSM-L

Re: Questions on Tape Reclamation

1997-03-14 09:48:00
Subject: Re: Questions on Tape Reclamation
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,HiServ/US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 09:48:00 -0500
Dianne,

        I used to run in to the same problem when we ran ADSM on an MVS
server... we were using 3480 tapes (18 trk w/IDRC) and had 6,000+ tapes
between our 2 ADSM systems.  There weren't enough hours during the day
when the tape drives weren't busy to keep up on reclamation..  Here are
a couple of things you can try..

1) Try setting the reclamation threshold higher (75 - 85%) ... this will
reclaim the least full tapes first.  Then, as things get caught up,
gradually reduce the reclamation threshold.

2)  Instead of reclaim, use MOVE DATA to move your least full tapes back
to disk storagepools - we had a lot of success with this... I used to
generate a tape pulllist for the operators of the least full tapes, then
would use an ADSM macro to issue the MOVE DATA commands.  This worked
out well as we'd be able to process 60-90 tapes in an hour using 6-8
concurrent move processes.  You could try doing this one day a week to
clear off the least full tapes (i.e. < 25-30 MB used), then use the
reclaim method the other 2 days of the week.

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com