ADSM-L

Re: Questions on Tape Reclamation

1997-03-13 07:11:00
Subject: Re: Questions on Tape Reclamation
From: Hilton Tina <HiltonT AT IS1.INDY.TCE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 07:11:00 EST
This is only an educated guess, but since you haven't heard from anyone else
you might consider it better than nothing.
1.  I have never seen anything about reclamation that would indicate there's
a method to selecting the order of the tapes.
2.  If the tape shows 0.0% utilized, it might have one or a few very small
files that, as a percentage of the capacity, don't show up.  Do a 'Q CONTENT
volser' and you'll find out exactly what is on the tape.

As far as your problem with the available window to do reclamation, maybe
instead of setting the threshhold to 50%, you might want to set it higher
and get the more empty ones that will take less time.  Another alternative
would be instead to issue MOVE DATA against the specific volumes you want
reclaimed.  Either of these methods should free up more tapes, rather than
just decreasing the utilization those volumes at 50% that get selected for
reclamation but don't finish.

Good luck!

Tina Hilton
Thomson Consumer Electronics