ADSM-L

MOVE DRMEDIA locked up our server

1997-03-11 15:17:58
Subject: MOVE DRMEDIA locked up our server
From: Scotty Logan <scotty AT ZINC.OUCS.OX.AC DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 20:17:58 +0000
This afternoon we were moving some DRM  volumes from our 3494, using a
procedure we've successfully used before, and managed to lock up parts
of the ADSM server.

MOVE DRMEDIA had moved 32 tapes  (of 43 that were  to be moved) out of
the library when the process hung.  QUERY VOL on  the volume which was
being moved hung, as did QUERY DEVC and UPDATE DEVC.  The MOVE DRMEDIA
process could not be cancelled, so we were forced  to restart the ADSM
server.

The only other  operations running at this  time were  a tape to  tape
BACKUP STG and a client restore session, both of  which appeared to be
working.

Since parts  of  the system appeared   to be deadlocked we  tried SHOW
LOCK, which  produced the  following  output (some  lines wrapped  for
clarity)

  Lock hash table contents (slots=256):
  slot -> 0:
  LockDesc: Type=34000, NameSpace=0, SummMode=sLock, Key=''
    Holder: Tid=0:83467872, Mode=sLock
    Holder: Tid=0:83459850, Mode=sLock
    Waiter: Tid=0:83467910, Mode=sixLock
    Waiter: Tid=0:83467919, Mode=sLock
    Waiter: Tid=0:83468124, Mode=sixLock
    Waiter: Tid=0:83468904, Mode=sLock
    Waiter: Tid=0:83469119, Mode=sLock
    Waiter: Tid=0:83469841, Mode=sixLock
  slot -> 21:
  LockDesc: Type=73007, NameSpace=0, SummMode=xLock,
   Key='/drm/ox_hfs/moves.1997-Mar-11'
    Holder: Tid=0:83459850, Mode=xLock

SHOW THREADS gave us (last line wrapped for clarity)

  Thread 67: OrmMoveDrmediaThread
    tid=24267db8, parent=66, detached=1, zombie=0, joining=0, result=0
    Awaiting cond 25F1CF5C (using mutex 202A5ABC) at 25F1CF5C
     (*NOT IMPLEMENTED*)

We'll be opening a  PMR  for this tomorrow,  but  has anyone else  had
similar problems with DRM?

Thanks,

 Scotty

--
Scotty Logan, Unix Systems Programmer, mailto:scotty.logan AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Scotty Logan, Unix Systems Programmer, mailto:scotty.logan AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk

``I met a DJ who lived in seclusion,
 Reality and sobriety were her only delusions''
        The Presidents of The United States of America