ADSM-L

Storage pool migration

1997-03-06 19:32:43
Subject: Storage pool migration
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 16:32:43 -0800
After having added a RAID device for staging, I'm having a
dickens of a time getting the timing of schedules to work
properly, etc. and now I've stumbled upon a curiosity that I
can't puzzle out.

To wit, I have fifteen 2000 MB files defined in a disk storage
pool (30,000MB, or roughly 29.3 GB). There is currently a
migration process running on the ADSM server, moving the files in
the disk storage pool (STAGEPOOL) to the tape storage pool
(3590CPOOL). 'query process' returns the following result:

3 Migration         Disk Storage Pool STAGEPOOL, Moved Files: 140457,
                    Moved Bytes: 36,148,457,472, Unreadable Files:
                    0, Unreadable Bytes: 0. Current File (bytes):
                    704,512

                    Current output volume: 001099.

Now, if we do the math, this indicates that 34,473 MB (or
33.67GB) have been migrated from the disk storage pool
(STAGEPOOL), to the tape storage pool. How can that be, when the
capacity of STAGEPOOL is only 30,000 MB? Is there an end in sight
to this process?

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated. [I'm beginning to
wonder whether adding the staging area was actually a *good*
idea!]

Thanks. -- Tom

"If I could dot the 'i' in a Michigan     Thomas A. La Porte
 game and the good lord came to take me   Archivist, Feature Animation
 the next day ... at least I could        DreamWorks SKG
 die happy." - Beano Cook, ESPN           <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>