ADSM-L

FW: Recovery log

1997-03-05 14:47:30
Subject: FW: Recovery log
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,HiServ/US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 14:47:30 -0500
Tom,

        When running in 'roll-forward recovery' mode, the recovery log tracks
all transactions since the last database backup - this significantly
increases the recovery log storage requirements.  Database growth will
certainly contribute to this but keep in mind that database transactions
also incrlude client backups/archives and 'background' processing such
as migrations, reclamations, expiration processing, etc.. What you're
seeing in your environment isn't out of line with what I saw when
running in roll forward mode - our database was about 7 GB and I had to
increase our recovery log from 600 MB to about 3 GB (dbbackuptrigger set
to 80%)  to avoid database backups being triggered while the incremental
backups were running.  Since migrating to an RS/6000 and fast tape
drives, I've given up on this method and have gone to full database
backups every day since they only take 45-50 minutes.

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com