ADSM-L

Re: sizes and management of adsm databases

1997-03-05 11:54:31
Subject: Re: sizes and management of adsm databases
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 11:54:31 -0500
1.  Don't know, really, about the 5% figure.  Somewhere on this list a
few months ago, an IBMer gave a formula for calculating the size of the
data base from the number of objects you plan to back up or archive.  I
think that is a more realistic approach and use that instead.  I saved
it, and here it is:

***********************************
Every version of a file requires approximately 500-600 bytes of database
space.  Each additional copy of the file (i.e., cached copy or copy
in a copy storage pool), requires an additional 150-200 bytes of
database.
Additional database space will be required to allow for partially filled
pages and other overhead.
A word of warning, it is not uncommon to see comments on this list from
sites with data bases from 2-8 GB.  The data base gets really big really
fast if you are backing up a lot of clients.  Our UNIX (AIX) servers all
have over 50000 files each.

2.  In the Admin Reference, see the EXPIRE INVENTORY command.

3.  In the Admin Reference, see the BACKUP DB command.  For the AIX
server, the examples are in the Admin guide chapter on "recovering data"
rather than the chapter on "Managing the Data Base and Recovery Log".