ADSM-L

Re: Symbolic link problems - Please IBM, respond to this...

1997-03-04 03:24:16
Subject: Re: Symbolic link problems - Please IBM, respond to this...
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 10:24:16 +0200
Trevor Foley wrote:

> There have been a few steams in the past few days
discussing problems with
> symbolic links. We are also having problems. The details
below were
> provided by our Unix support people. Any comments or
suggestions would be
> appreciated.
>

> regards,
>
> Trevor

I'm directing this question to IBM - I know you read the
list and are very selective in answering questions - which
I can understand.

BUT - If somebody asks a question with detailed proof of
what happens I think it is only decent that they should get
an answer on that.

About a year back I had to try and explain exactly what
Trevor is asking about now (special files -
block,character,etc)
I unfortunately did not know this before hand and had to
explain very nicely to some very angry cutomers that I
could not restore these special files - needless to say
that we are not using ADSM anymore on their machines.

So I want to know the following from IBM and expect an
answer:

1)      Is it a known problem with symbolic links - will it be
fixed, is there a work  around this? (Or is it working as
designed)
2)      Same as above but for special files.

Please see these questions in a positive light. I may sound
harsh but I have to make a strategic descision for
enterprise backup for one of the largest banks in South
Africa and I don't need problems like the above in my
life....

Regards
Christo Heuer
ABSA