ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Database backup tapes

1997-03-03 19:12:14
Subject: Re: ADSM Database backup tapes
From: "Dwight E. Cook" <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 18:12:14 -0600
     You might not be able to alter the "access=" directly (I haven't
     tried) but I bet if you check the volume out of the library something
     will happen... If nothing else it should make them unavail...(I
     haven't tried this either)
     To bring them back to scratch status, if they were that before and you
     used "scratch=yes" in your backup command use the "delete volhist
     tod=-7 type=dbb"  dbb is for data base backup.... but probably if you
     checked them out of the library and they went back to scratch you
     would have to do another checkin libvol libraryname volsernumber
     status=scratch checklabel=no devt=blah
     to get it back in the inventory.  I hope if you are taking the
     dbbackup tape offsite you're also taking storage pool copies!
     Don't know different folks workloads and not that I'm promoting a
     reduction in work force BUT what we do is simply back the data up
     offsite to begin with... we use an extended fddi link(s) between our
     two Tulsa locations, have ADSM servers at both locations, and backup
     the machines at one location to the adsm server at the other location,
     then if a airplane should crash or something we would have the
     "offsite" adsm server to rebuild the lost systems AND it would become
     an immediate backup server to all remaining servers (then we would
     make IBM happy and order a new one...). I might also note that it is
     up to the bean counters to handle retention of accounting data and the
     such for legal reasons.  Our ADSM servers are mainly for a "any system
     72 hour recovery requirement" (as it existed when it died...) so my
     life isn't so bad ;-)
     Hope this helps

Author:  ADSM-L at unix,uu/DD.RFC-822=ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date:    3/3/97 10:14 AM

I too would like to know how you do this and other offsite activities.
Include me in any list of explainations.

                        Thank you
                        Dave Larimer