ADSM-L

Help for Solaris and SGI clients

1997-03-03 11:36:03
Subject: Help for Solaris and SGI clients
From: Alfred Novacek <Novacek AT POP.IDV.UNI-LINZ.AC DOT AT>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 17:36:03 +0100
Hello ADSMers!

I have troubles with two different UNIX versions of ADSM, and I hope, there
is somebody around here on this list that can help.

 - Solaris: These days we got a SUN Netra with Solaris 2.5.1 preinstalled.
I downloaded the Solaris 2.5 client, but when I tried to install it, the
installation procedure complained that the Solaris version is 2.5.1 and not
2.5 and refused to install the client software.

 - SGI: This client installed ok. However, we use a non-default naming
convention for our clients (we do not use the complete hostnames), and when
I tried to configure the client name via a NODENAME directive in DSM.SYS
(which is allowed according to OPTIONS.DOC), ADSM complained about an
invalid keyword in DSM.SYS; however, ADSM worked ok when I moved the
directive into DSM.OPT (the user specific option file).
However, OPTIONS.DOC mentions that the user is considered root once he
specifies another node name. While this is ok with the SGI I configured
(which will be used as a "single user" system), another SGI will be used
for student projects, and we don't want them to have access to files that
were produced by other project groups (unless we allow this access).

Does anyone know solutions to these problems (or a workaround)?

Thank You very much in advance - Alfred Novacek

Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Institute for Data Processing in Business Administrations,
     Social and Economic Sciences
Johannes Kepler University Linz / Austria
E-Mail: Novacek AT idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
        Novacek AT pop.idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
WWW: http://www.idv.uni-linz.ac.at