ADSM-L

Re: Legal settings for duration of a backup schedule

1997-02-28 13:25:10
Subject: Re: Legal settings for duration of a backup schedule
From: Melinda Varian <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 13:25:10 EST
On Fri, 28 Feb 1997 at 09:39:15 PST, Dave Cannon said:

> I don't know what is happening here.  Keep in mind that the duration
> refers to the window during which the scheduled operation can *begin*.
> Is it possible that the activity you see "between windows" is caused
> by operations that begin during the startup window, but continue past
> the end of that window?  If you make your startup window so large
> that scheduled operations cannot complete before the next window
> begins, you may end up with overlapping operations.

Thanks for the response, Dave, but that was the first thing I checked.
What we were actually seeing is backups starting at, say 11am, for a
schedule that was supposed to last from 6pm to 8am.  It was happening
to enough users that I became convinced that there was no mistake.  Now
that you agree that this is not what is supposed to happen, I will try
easing the duration up again and listen for complaints.

Melinda Varian,
Princeton University