ADSM-L

maxfilesize and compression

1997-02-28 13:10:03
Subject: maxfilesize and compression
From: Mj Lopatin <lopatin AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:10:03 PST
> I have the "maxsize" parameter for my disk storage pool set
> to 16 M and yet when some client backups run,
> files much smaller that 16 M are being stored directly to tape.

Michael,

  Are you running on a SunOS system?  If so, you have just hit
IC16603, and your files are going to tape because of a compiler bug,
not because of the way we compute filesize before or after compression.

  A temporary workaround is to set the "maxsize" parameter back
to its default of Nolimit.  The bug only occurs when "maxsize" is changed.

  However, my best recommendation is to get the latest version
of the SunOS PTF 6 client (IP20979) on the anonymous FTP server,
which contains a fix for IC16603 (we wrote around the compiler bug).
Look for level 2.1.0.6G in the README to be sure you have the right version.
The PTF 6 version shipping on media right now does not have the fix,
because this is a very recent APAR.

MJ Lopatin
ADSM Client Development