ADSM-L

symbolic links?

1997-02-28 04:22:18
Subject: symbolic links?
From: Dirk Kastens <dkastens AT RZ.UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:22:18 +0100
Hi,

(ADSM Server for AIX and AIX client 2.1.0.6G)
I'm very disappointed that ADSM is not able to backup
symbolic links. When I create a symbolic link that points
to another directory, the symbolic link is not listed in
the directory tree. It's listed in the file table without
a note that it's a symbolic link and not a regular file.
When I restore the symbolic link, ADSM creates an empty
file that points to the nirvana:

Before the backup:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 dirk     staff          3 Feb 28 10:00 temp -> odm

the symbolic link "temp" points to the directory "odm".
After restore:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 dirk     staff          0 Feb 28 10:02 temp ->

But when I backup a file that is located under the linked
directory by file specification, say "temp/fileA", ADSM
backs up the original file "odm/fileA" under the name
"temp/fileA". Then, suddenly, the directory "temp" is listed
in the directory tree (restore by directory tree), and when
I restore the file "temp/fileA", ADSM creates the directory
"temp" and restores the file with the result that it now
exists twice.
Is this a bug?

Regards,

Dirk Kastens _______________Dirk.Kastens AT rz.Uni-Osnabrueck DOT DE
Universitaet Osnabrueck     Phone: +49/541/969-2347 (work)
Rechenzentrum               Fax:   +49/541/969-2470 (work)
Albrechtstr. 28             Phone: +49/541/258182   (private)
49069 Osnabrueck
Germany