ADSM-L

Idletimeout for no reason

2015-10-04 18:10:12
Subject: Idletimeout for no reason
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 2/25/97 9:16PM
Saw the other post to this (from Dwight?)  and he had some good things to
check.  But I wanted to add my $.02.....

I just got done talking to IBM about something that was different, but the
symptoms are similar.  My situation was an Admin command with lots of data
being pumped back to the client.  I happened to notice when looking from
another admin session that the first session was in an idle wait on the
server, and yet the results had not been delivered on my screen.  In some
cases the session would time out on the server, although I did not get the
messages.  Sometimes the resluts were never received - or I'd get impatient
and blow away the session  ;-(

The answer was that the server was actually done with all of the information
from the query, and had pumped it back to the Admin client.  The admin session
was trying to sort it, etc.  to get it in the correct order and format before
it could present it.  PC sorts not being very efficient, there was often quite
a delay.

So how does this apply to you?  **Perhaps** the server has done all it can do
for the moment, and is waiting for a response from the client.  If the client
is too busy to respond within the timeout interval, or ADSM has a lot of data
to sift through (such as a huge directory tree??) , then it would be curtains
for your session.....

Just a thought.....

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com