ADSM-L

Re: Backup File Versioning

1997-02-26 08:18:03
Subject: Re: Backup File Versioning
From: Andy Raibeck <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 05:18:03 PST
> > Can ADSM do the following for us!
> >       1. backup changed user files up to 10 Versions
> >          keep the versions up to 30 days
> Yes, define in the copygroup definition VERExist=10 and RETExtra=30

It is important to note that the RETExtra "clock" for a particular backup
version does not start ticking until the next backup version is created.
That is, if you back up a file on January 15, 1997, but don't back it up
again until March 1, 1997, the first backup version (created on January 15)
is eligible for expiration on March 31 (30 days after the March 1 backup
version was taken).

> >       2. if user file doesn't change keep the last two backup
> >          versions ?
> I don't think so, as far as I know only the active copy (most recent
> backup) is retained permanently, all other backup versions expire
> according to the RETExtra parameter value. Maybe Archiving can be
> used for this? We don't use Archiving so I can't fill you in on this.
> Maybe someone else can?

You can set VERExists=2 and RETExtra=NOLIMIT. These settings will cause
two versions to be kept: the ACTIVE (i.e. most recent) backup version and
the next-most recent backup version. The ACTIVE version is kept indefinitely
as long as the file exists on the client. The RETExtra=NOLIMIT setting will
cause the next-most recent copy to also be kept indefinitely (until the next
backup version is created, in which case it is expired due to the VERExists
setting).

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support