ADSM-L

Idletimeout for no reason

1997-02-25 18:24:12
Subject: Idletimeout for no reason
From: Sam Sheppard <SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 15:24:12 PST
I am wondering if anyone else has seen this behaviour.  On a small
number of clients, we are seeing message ANS4017E on the client caused
by the IDLETIMEOUT (20 minutes) being reached on the server (MVS level
10) during backup and, in two cases, on a restore operation.  One AIX
client is failing backup consistently every night.  This client is not
doing anything else at the time, and does not have an excessive number
of directories or excessively large directories.

One OS/2 client is failing the same way although after the third retry,
the backup succeeds.

A NetWare server trying to restore a directory tree containing about
200M of files runs for several minutes, creates the directory structure,
and restores several files before apparently stopping in the middle of
restoring a file.  Q SESS shows wait time just building up until the
IDLETIMEOUT hits.  No tape mounts or messages outstanding.
Any suggestions on what to look for here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sam Sheppard
San Diego Data Processing Corp.
shs AT sddpc.sannet DOT gov