ADSM-L

Re: How do I reuse DbBackup tapes?

1997-02-25 14:54:25
Subject: Re: How do I reuse DbBackup tapes?
From: Joe Morris <morris AT UNC DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 14:54:25 -0500
On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Owen Crow wrote:

| I've finally realized the tapes I use for DbBackups do not automatically
| return to scratch. Even if I manually change them with "update libvolume",
| they just revert to private the next time ADSM tries to use them
| (unsuccessfully).

This is not a bug, but how ADSM works.  While this does protect your
database backups, it does become a pain as you will want to expire the
data at some point in time.

| Do I need to check them out of the library and re-dsmfmt them? What is
| the standard procedure for this? I've got 21 3590 tapes sitting idle
| because of this.

No standard procedure.  However, you can create an administration schedule
to automatically delete the volume history.  For example, the command 'del
volhist tod=-5 t=dbb' deletes database backup volume histroy older than 5
days and returns those tapes that do expire to scratch status again.  I
run this daily.  You just need to decide what a comfortable setting is for
retaining that information.  No need to checkout/checkin the volumes.

Joe Morris  -  morris AT unc DOT edu  -  http://sunsite.unc.edu/morris
Academic Technology and Networks (formerly OIT), Development