ADSM-L

Full Restore, ADSM Server Questions

1997-02-24 10:26:02
Subject: Full Restore, ADSM Server Questions
From: Andy Carlson <andyc AT ANDYC.CARENET DOT ORG>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 09:26:02 -0600
I have a question about the process that ADSM uses for restores.  We are
using ADSM Server for MVS ver 2.1.10.  The Netware client in question is
using the 2.1.6 client.  The started the restore, and after about 10
hours, the mainframe had a problem mounting a tape, and adsm had to be
bounced (this is another problem, not the one I am askng about - that had
to do with the silos).  So now, when ADSM was restarted, we did a restore
with replace=no, so that we would not restore files already restored, and
hopefull save some time.  It came to my attention, thought, that even
though we were skipping alot of files, it looks like ADSM server process
mounted all the tapes anyway.  Why is that being done?  It seems like
there should be enough information in the database to determine if a file
should be restored or not.  Also, I would like to know the process that
ADSM goes through when a restore is started.  It seems like he downloads
the full directory tree, but he must be doing something else also since it
takes almost an hour and a half before it starts "doing anything", from an
external point of view (the person watching it seeing any activity).
Thanks for any information that can be provided.

Andy Carlson        andyc AT andyc.carenet DOT org
BJC Health System
St. Louis, Missouri