ADSM-L

ADSM and Network Load - ATTN: Dave Larimer

1997-02-24 08:14:25
Subject: ADSM and Network Load - ATTN: Dave Larimer
From: Jane Vaughn <Jane_Vaughn AT PCMAILGW.ML DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 08:14:25 -0500
Dave Larimer,
 In your response to a question (see below), you stated that 'playing with the
schedules' helped you elimintate a slow down in response during backups.  Can
you elaborate on this?               -- Jane Vaughn/Merrill Lynch

Vincent,
Vincent,
        We have a 60 node system currently and my network people had the same
questions.  We put a sniffer on our network during load tests on the
network.  We had two systems.  One was a FDDI, fiber optic and the other
was a ethernet.  During load tests the FDDI was hardly driven at all.
We were never able to get the FDDI above 5% utilization.  The ethernet
was another story.  During peak load tests our users said that they
noticed a slow down in response, however the sniffer showed a peak
utilization between 25 and 50%.  Playing with schedules and load I was
able to eliminate the complaints (at least so far).  I hope that this
helps.

                                                Dave Larimer
                                                ADSM administrator
                                                KNEnergy Inc.