ADSM-L

Point-in-time restore ...

1997-02-20 13:24:35
Subject: Point-in-time restore ...
From: Michael Fink <Michael.Fink AT UIBK.AC DOT AT>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 19:24:35 +0100
On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Jerry Lawson wrote:

>                 Weekly and monthly backups of the same files just duplicates
> the same data over and over again - probably costing more in terms of time,
> tapes, and management, not to mention machine and network utilization. [...]

This is why we chose ADSM.

> There are only two arguments that I have heard for periodic backups that have
> (some) merit.  The first of these are legal requirements to keep a point in
> time backup.  Never pays to argue with a lawyer (I know - I have a son in Law
> School).  This is where Archive comes into play.  [...]

And this is where I hope to see an improvement in ADSM V.3 by a better
integration of backup and archive.

In the current implementation, an archive run causes all archived data to be
transmitted over the network again, although current backups of most of the
data may exist in the ADSM server. This defeats the original ADSM purpose
of minimizing network traffic.

I imagine that Archive could be implemented by causing data to be copied
internally in the server if a current backup exists -- or even better -- by
setting an archive flag for a file in the ADSM database for each archived
instance (logic should be somewhat similar to creating hard links to files
under UNIX, of course some metainformation will have to be recorded for
each archive).

Dear ADSM development folks, is something along these lines being considered?

Sincerely,  Michael Fink

> Jerry Lawson
> jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

        EDV-Zentrum | Universitaet Innsbruck      | Tel: +43(512)507-2311
 Computing Services | Technikerstrasse 13         | FAX: +43(512)507-2944
--------------------+ A - 6020 Innsbruck, Austria | Michael.Fink AT uibk.ac DOT
at