ADSM-L

Re: Re[2]: Different includes/excludes

1997-02-20 12:32:15
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Different includes/excludes
From: Dave Sanders <DSanders AT MASSMUTUAL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:32:15 -0500
Uh, Jerry,,, I started this thread (at least this time), and the reason we
are looking to do this is that ADSM passing data to the mainframe is to
slow relative to the amount of data that needs to be passed and the
processing window.  The client just doesn't have time to send that data so,
they are trying to compromise and minimally get weekly backups of that
particular group of files.

----------

---------------------------
> From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
> From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
> Date: 2/19/97 2:14PM
> To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
> *To: *ADSM-L at SNADGATE
> Subject: Re[2]: Different includes/excludes

---
---

> I have been lurking in the background on this thread, but I can no longer
> contain myself here.
>
> The basic problem that people are trying to address here is something
that in
> my estimation goes against the major design features of ADSM.  That is -
it
> isn't designed to do weekly and monthly full backups - If it was - there
would
> be a "Full backup" option available from the backup options.
>
> When I see one of these threads start up, I believe there is a person
> somewhere - probably a manager, but I've been reading Dilbert again, that
> thinks that the only "safe" way to have a backup is to do full weekly,
monthly
> , or yearly backups.  The beauty of ADSM is that the developers and
designers
> took the time to think "out of the box" and ask "Why?"
>
> In my mind, the combination of an adequately defined management class
that
> meets the customer's needs, coupled with a backup copypool, covers backup
> requirements.   Weekly and monthly backups of the same files just
duplicates
> the same data over and over again - probably costing more in terms of
time,
> tapes, and management, not to mention machine and network utilization.
And in
> my company, the critical resource is more and more the network - and
anyone
> who thinks that it isn't being used in the middle of the night hasn't
looked
> at it many years.
>
> There are only two arguments that I have heard for periodic backups that
have
> (some) merit.  The first of these are legal requirements to keep a point
in
> time backup.  Never pays to argue with a lawyer (I know - I have a son in
Law