ADSM-L

checkin libvolume failes on aix server

1997-02-18 07:50:08
Subject: checkin libvolume failes on aix server
From: Jim Riehl <JIMBO AT SANJOSE.VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 05:50:08 -0700
Matthias Hensel writes:
 >      FROM   :   Matthias Hensel
 >                 M001CC.MHENSEL
 >                 Matthias Hensel at BE2006
 >
 >      DATE   :   02/18/97
 >      SUBJECT:   checkin libvolume failes on aix server
 >
 > Hello together,
 >
 > I am at the moment setting up a new ADSM server 2.1.5.11 on AIX 4.1.5
 > with a 3494 library with 3590 drives as output medium.
 >
 > The library and the drives are connected and known to aix due to the
 > atldd 2.5.1.4 and the Atape 2.6.1.0 drivers. the lmcpd Deamon is running
 > and everything seems to be alright so far.
 >
 > Therfore I was able to define a library and drives in ADSM. Having done
 > this, I issues the checkin libvol command as follows:
 >
 >    checkin libvol libname search=yes status=scratch devtype=3590
 >
 > When I did so, ADSM started a process, but few seconds later it
 > terminates without any comment, and nothing happens inside the library.
 >
 > Am I missing something. Has somebody had similar problems?
 >
 > Can anybody help me?  Thanks.
 >

 > Matthias Hensel

 > Matthias Hensel,                 Internet: matthias.hensel AT schering DOT de
 > SCHERING AG,                        Phone: +49 30 468 20 81
 > 13342 Berlin                          Fax: +49 30 469 16 71 9

If the server is not returning any errors. It is highly possible that
there are not any volumes in the "insert category" (FF00) in the
library.

This can be verified with the mtlib program that came with the atldd
device driver.

From the "IBM SCSI Tape Drive, Medium Changer, and Library Device
Drivers" manual chapter 32:

mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -qC -sFF00

The above is an example of the command that will list all the volumes
in the insert category.

....Jim Riehl - ADSM Server Development