ADSM-L

ADSM Hint, keep this for future reference...

1997-02-15 17:35:07
Subject: ADSM Hint, keep this for future reference...
From: "Dwight E. Cook" <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 16:35:07 -0600
     Well, on one of our MVS ADSM servers I learned what to never let
     happen!  NEVER LET YOUR LOG FILL UP ! ! !
     We pumped a few novell servers into ADSM over the weekend.  File
     counts on these were @ 300,000+ files (probably more like 500,000 I
     was just counting them as they were being deleted...)
     When the LOG FILLED and the INCREMENTAL halted it issued an ANR0532W
     with an additional SMNODE802 in the message (what ever that is)
     IT LEFT THE DATA BASE RECORDS REALLY SCREWED UP !
     Every time we would try to initiate incrementals, after fixing the
     problem with the log, that one specific server would kick into
     SENDWAIT on the server and the client would just see TCP/IP TIMEOUT.
     Since this was the first ever backup for this node, rather than run an
     audit on the DB I just deleted all the file spaces associated with the
     node and all is well and backing up again.
     I came to that action because INCREMENTAL would hang, SELECTIVE would
     hang, ARCHIVE would start sending data at 90 miles per hour... Just
     guessed at it really but 1st I had backed up the db to clear the log
     (and the client hung) bounced ADSM (and the client hung) backed up the
     DB again to hopefully clear things up (and the client hung) checked
     other novell clients (but this one still hung) then did the archives
     and when they ran (I CANCELLED THEM ! guess I showed that node) so I
     deleted the clients filespace, kicked off an incremental and all is
     well... Probably could have narrowed things down to a single file
     system but we backup novell servers with multiple threads, one per
     mount point/file system/drive/whateveryoucallitinnovell so only one of
     the 7 sessions was associated with the ANR0532W-SMNODE802 message but
     I didn't have a 7 sided die to see which mount point to try first.
     Hope my accident helps keeps someone out there from experiencing the
     same.  Oh, and I doubled the log size too.
     later
          Dwight